After having completed the first placard, we decided that our campaign needed a brand.
The three main colours used in the placard were red, black and white. We thought that these colours worked well because they are simple and very minimal, verging on monotone. However, the red gives the visuals a bit of life and seriousness. We also thought that these colours represent how serious and upsetting the issue is.
As decided in the previous session, our campaign name is See Me Speak. The idea being that deaf people see you speaking rather than listening to you (and in most cases, vice versa). We thought that although the name doesn’t make sense at first (how can you see someone speak?), when put into context, it works well.
Firstly, we decided that we needed a very heavy, bold sans-serif typeface for our logo. As the Graphic Communicators of the group, Georgia and I took on the role of logo design while Celine and Sam carried on with some more handmade placards. We started by playing around with different layouts using Adobe Illustrator. Our first outcome was this:
We liked the layout and how each ‘E’ lined up. We wanted to include the idea of a box (the red lines surrounding the type). The red box signifies that sign language is being trapped and excluded from mainstream teaching. After receiving some feedback from other groups, we decided that the red lines were too thick, and part of it was confused with the text reading See I Me Speak. We agreed, and found that asking our peers is a really good way of seeing the bigger picture when it comes to branding. We felt that we became so focused on this design, that we couldn’t spot the little mistakes like this. We developed the logo by thinning out the box lines. Here was the result:
We were happy with the result and confirmed with our peers that it no longer looked like a ‘typo’ logo! However, we still thought that there was something missing from the logo. The negative space in the top right corner was concerning us. Therefore, I drew up some different hand signs on my iPad using Procreate. We felt that this would link the wording with the Sign Language connection. Here was the final result:
We chose to use the hand in a fist shape. This was appropriate because it resembles the power of Sign Language – an amazing way to communicate with and include deaf people. We overlapped the fist and the box, so the fist appears to be ‘breaking out’ of the box, resembling the fact that sign language is breaking the barrier of tradition, and will be introduced to mainstream schools.