Today I presented some of the developments I’d made to my final major project over the last few weeks to my peers and David. I wanted to note that I’d been focusing on my previous projects (Design for Real Life & D&AD) over the Easter break so these developments are by no means the final developments. However, I found today’s tutorial really helpful and now have lots of great ideas for further developments based on my peers’ and David’s feedback today.
The main development that I’ve made is the AntiPat online software walkthrough to help my audience visualise how they could apply this software to their everyday lives. I chose to create this as I feel that it really increases the relatability of the Pink Tax and also shows people how they could apply it really simply.
Georgia thought that the walkthrough video was a great addition to the project and agreed with me that it helped visualise the application of the software in real life. She mentioned that it would be useful to include this in some form of advertisement (such as Snapchat or Instagram adverts) to help spread the word about AntiPat as a whole. I thought that this feedback was so helpful and will definitely be applying this to my further developments of the project. Anya agreed with Georgia and mentioned that I could even use demographic targeted adverts, and change the products at the checkout to suit similar things to that specific user’s common buys (using advertising targeting methods supplied by the Facebook group). I thought that this was a really clever idea and will increase the relatability even further by using popular products among certain people to show the saving AntiPat can create.
David said that the developments were all positive, and mentioned that he liked that I had changed the emoji’s dollar signs to pound signs, which again increases relatability in the target market. He thought that the walkthrough was a really positive addition, and mentioned that I should add a voiceover or sound to it to help increase the engagement with it even more. He added that I needed to focus more on the user journey of the in-store version of AntiPat and that the QR code scan at checkout just wouldn’t be legible in a real life situation. He mentioned creating an addition to Apple Wallet or even developing a new technology which would allow you to scan products through your phone or apple watch. I was worried about this previously as I felt that developing an App would be unrealistic because of how expensive it would be for a startup company. I mentioned this to David and he told me that although he was happy that I was thinking realistically about the logistics, that I shouldn’t to worry about the execution of it as long as it’s justified – so maybe advertisers will invest of shops will invest. As long as that’s mentioned somewhere then it will be fine. This gave me a lot of relief and I felt that I could now express my original idea of creating either an App or other feature to allow customers to scan items as they shop, and search for cheaper male or unisex alternatives before getting to the checkout.
Overall I am really pleased with today’s tutorial and feel confident going forward with my developments ahead of summative submission in 3 weeks time. My next steps will be to finish the animation/video and further develop my outcomes based on the above feedback.