1:1 Tutorial with David – Wednesday 4th May
In my tutorial with David today I got some updated feedback on my editorial design. This is something that I really wanted to perfect because I’m conscious that this is the only major outcome which showcases my editorial design skillset from this year’s submission, so I really need to show off all of my skills within this one piece of work. Overall, David’s feedback was encouraging and really positive. The main points he highlighted all surrounded type detailing. He said that I needed to show off my editorial skills more by including type detailing more frequently. I responded to this feedback by going back to a resource which I had at the start of my second year (for our editorial project) and referred to it:
I found the typographic detailing section particularly useful as this was what David was highlighting that I didn’t have enough of in my design. I decided that I would need to include more subheadings, callout quotations, making the most of the use of ligatures within my typefaces and also just paying more attention to detail in terms of widows, orphans and the rag of my body copy. In order to start this process I used the Markup feature on my iPad to make notes of any typographic detailing I could notice in my own work. I then went on to send my work to Shannon, a peer, who also looked over the typographic detailing (I did the same for her, too!). This was such a useful process and seeing someone else’s work then makes you look at your own in more detail in my opinion. These were Shannon’s annotations:
Shannon annotated my spreads in such great detail and I’m so grateful that she took the time to do this for me! It was SO helpful so get her perspective of my work and her notes were really engaging and constructive. I loved Shannon’s idea of rotating “Persuasive Design”, here was the result:
Something just didn’t look right to me with this so I decided to experiment with the repeated dots on the “i’s” (called a tittle) by removing some of them, in the original orientation and found that this looked clearer and more fitting. I think that the reduced amount of tittles :
The final change I made to this spread was to get rid of the widow at the bottom of the left hand piece of body copy:
The next change I made was to increase the size of the type on this spread. David said that he thought that it previously felt trapped on the page and the negative space surrounding the type felt unused or un-useful. He suggested that the size should either be increased or decreased in order to feel more free. I decided to increase the size as I felt that decreasing the size made the pace of the editorial piece too repetitive:
I also decided that I needed to change the weight of the bolder type in the body copy on the left as it wasn’t apparent enough. I have altered it from Bold to Extra Bold and I feel that this has really increased the emphasis on certain words. I feel that the hierarchy of this spread is really strong in that the path for the eye is clearly guided from the large type, to the pull out quotation on the right, and then to the body copy on the left.
I added a pull-out quotation to this spread as I felt that it needed an extra element to help balance out the double page spread:
However, I felt that it still looked a little unbalanced. I actually printed off this spread and stuck it on the wall. I took a step back and tried to decipher what was making it so unbalanced, and found that it was actually the face that the right page was so pink-heavy, and the left only had a little squiggle of pink. I decided to take the idea from thr right page of using thin rectangles behind the text to help it stand out more. I feel that this really balances out the spread and makes it flow visually and typographically as a double page spread, rather than two separate pages:
Having considered both the feedback from David and Shannon, this is the outcome I have come up with:
Upon checking my submission checklist I noticed that in the submission notes it states “cover & 5 spreads” in the Dissertation Design section, which is something that I initially missed. My next stage is to create the cover for my editorial design.
I started by writing out the title of my dissertation and experimenting with different placements and typefaces until I have happy with it. I really wanted the type to feel very close, with each word almost hugging one another. I think that this will help visualise the fact that ethics and finance go hand in hand in today’s Influencer marketing industry. Here are some screenshots of the process and development:
The final layout of type I created was the one I chose to use. I think that the mixture of the two contrasting typefaces work really well together in terms of clarity and hierarchy. I love how the last three characters of each word ‘lly’ mould into each other.
I also added some Instagram icons which I created in Illustrator to add relevance to the topic, and to display my illustration skills within the editorial piece. The addition of the illustrations helps to vary the pace of the overall piece of editorial, along with helping the reader to associate the cover with Instagram instantly.
I’m really happy with the outcome and how it’s developed over the last few weeks. It’s really nice to have part of my dissertation which is beautiful to look at, rather than just 70 pages of black and white text!